Dr.L. G. Sampath Lokugalappatti
BVSc (Peradeniya), MSc (Peradeniya), PhD (Stellenbosch)
- Course coordinator Veterinary Physiology 1 (5 credit course) and Veterinary Physiology 2
- Course coordinator Wildlife Management & Conservation
- Course coordinator Research Methodologies
- Teaching panel member – Veterinary Biochemistry and Genetics and Breeding
- Research Planning to MVSc students
- Genetics and Breeding to MVSc students
Currently my research focus on three broad areas,
- Molecular genetics of indigenous livestock in Sri Lanka (goats, white cattle, buffalo, Jaffna sheep and village chicken)
- One health approach to control of diseases of economic importance at humanwildlife-domestic animal interface and
- Conservation genetics of Sri Lankan wildlife especially on forest and migrant birds.
- Project title: Genetic Characterization of Indigenous White Cattle (Thamankaduwa breed) Populations in Sri Lanka
Funding source: University of Peradeniya - 2013-2018
- Project title: Genetic characterization of Sri Lankan indigenous goats (Capra hircus) using DNA based techniques
Funding source: National Science Foundation - 2011-2015 .
- Project title: Wildlife Human Health Net Project: Network for Research and Co-management at the Wildlife-Human Health Interface
Funding source: IDRC (International Development Research Centre) - 2013-2017
- Project title: Characterization of Indigenous Goats in Sri Lanka for Production Traits Using Molecular Markers
Funding source: University of Peradeniya - 2011-2015
Active research grants:
- Project title: Improving Livelihood through Dairy Cattle Production: Women Farmers Empowerment in Sri Lanka (Genetic screening of locally adapted cattle and embryo transfer)
Funding source: IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) - 2016-2020
- Project title: Insight in to pathogenesis of chronic kidney disease of unknown etiology (CKDu): RNA-Seq based transcriptome analysis and SNP profiling
Funding source: National Research Council, Sri Lanka – 2016 - 2020
- Project title: Birds as bio monitors of exposure to toxic elements in Sri Lanka: determination of links between exposure, trophic position, genetic diversity and reproductive success
Funding source: National Research Council, Sri Lanka - 2017
|Position||MPhil. / PhD./Msc||current||completed|
- Maheshika S. Kurukulasuriya, David R. Notter, Pradeepa Silva, Kathiravan Periasamy, Rudolf Pichler, C.M.B. Dematawewa, H.B.S. Ariyaratne, R.P.V.J. Rajapakse, L.J.P.A.P. Jayasooriya, D.M.S. Munasinghe, L.G.S. Lokugalappatti, Crossing indigenous goats with a larger imported breed increases vulnerability to natural infection with gastrointestinal strongyle parasites, Livestock Science, 2020, 104359, ISSN 1871-1413,
- Maheshika S. Kurukulasuriya, Pradeepa Silva, C.M.B. Dematawewa, H.B.S. Ariyaratne, R.P.V.J. Rajapakshe, S.H.G. Wickramaratne, L.J.P.A.P. Jayasooriya, D.M.S. Munasinghe, L.G.S. Lokugalappatti, D.R. Notter, Responses of Sri Lankan indigenous goats and their Jamnapari crosses to artificial challenge with Haemonchus contortus, Veterinary Parasitology: Regional Studies and Reports, Volume 11, January 2018, Pages 41-48, ISSN 2405-9390.
- Kurukulasuriya, M.S., Silva, G.L.L.P, Dematawewa, C.M.B., Ariyarathne, H.B.S. Rajapakshe, R.P.V.J., Wickramaratne, S.H.G., Jayasooriya, L.J.P.A.P, Munasinghe, D.M.S. Lokugalappatti, L.G.S. Notter, D.R. (2017). Phenotypic Marker Based Evaluation of Resistance to Haemonchus contortus in Sri Lankan Indigenous Goats and Their Jamnapari Crossbreds. Tropical Agricultural Research. 29(1): 68-79.
- H.B.P.C. Ariyarathne, H.B.S. Ariyaratne and L.G.S. Lokugalappatti (2017) Single nucleotide polymorphism of candidate genes in non-descript local goats of Sri Lanka. Livestock Science 196: 49–54 DOI:10.1016/j.livsci.2016.12.012.
- Ariyarathne, H.B.P.C., LGS Lokugalappatti, H.B.S. Ariyaratne, & D.M.S. Munasinghe. "Detection of Genetic Diversity in Four Candidate Genes by Polymerase Chain Reaction-‐ Single Strand Conformation Polymorphism (PCR‐SSCP) Analysis of Goats in Sri Lanka." International Journal of Applied Sciences and Biotechnology. 4.1 (2016): 133‐138.
- Valeix, S., L. G. S. Lokugalappatti, P. Abeynayake, T. Prasad, A. D. Chandrasiri, S. L. Daniel, C. Stephen, and F. A. Leighton. "A feasibility study for the establishment of a national wildlife health centre in Sri Lanka." Revue scientifique et technique (International Office of Epizootics) 30, no. 3 (2011): 745.
- Lokugalappatti, L.G.S., Feldheim, K.A., Sellas, A.B. and Bowie, R.C.K. (2008) Isolation and characterization of 10 tetranucleotide microsatellite loci from the yellow‐streaked greenbul (Phyllastrephus flavostriatus) and cross‐species amplification in four closely related taxa. Molecular Ecology Resources. 8: 622‐624.
- Fjeldså, J., Johansson, U.S., Lokugalappatti, L.G.S. and Bowie, R.C.K. (2007) Diversification of African greenbuls in space and time: linking ecological and historical processes. Journal of Ornithology 148: S359‐367.
- Johansson, U.S., Fjeldså, J., Lokugalappatti, L.G.S. and Bowie, R.C.K. (2007) A nuclear DNA phylogeny and proposed taxonomic revision of African greenbuls (Aves, Passeriformes, Pycnonotidae). Zoologica Scripta 36: 417‐427
- W.M.L.A. Wanasinghe, M.N.M. Fouzi, L.G.S. Lokugalappatti, H.B.S. Ariyaratne and P.M. Akalanka, Identification of Non-native Suckermouth Armored Catfish (Pterigoplichthys, Loricariidae) in Sri Lanka based on Morphology and Mitochondrial Cytochrome b Gene Sequences, Proceedings of the Peradeniya Univ. International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka, Vol. 22, 11th & 12th September, 2019
- M.A. Pinidiya, W.M.L.A. Wanasinghe, B.V.P. Perera and L.G.S. Lokugalappatti, Assessment of Invasion of Suckermouth Armored Catfish (Pterygoplichthys pardalis ) in the Selected Wildlife Protected Areas of Sri Lanka. Wild Lanka International Symposium 2019, Waters Edge, Battaramulla, Sri Lanka, 02nd and 03rd September 2019.
- S. Wickramasinghe, R.A.R.K. Rupasmghe, N. Shanjayan and L.G.S. Lokugalappaththi, Genetic Variants of Beta-Casein Gene in Indigenous Thamankaduwa White and Exotic Holstein Friesian and Ayrshire Cattle in Sri Lanka SLCARP International Agricultural Research Symposium 2018 Sri Lanka Council for Agricultural Research Policy 13th and 14th August 2018, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Akalanka, P.M., Lokugapappatti, L.G.S. and Brook, Ryan K. (2016) Knowledge on Foot and Mouth Disease among the cattle and goats farmers in Nuwara Eliya district of Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the Peradeniya University International Research Sessions, 4-5 November 2016, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. Page 418.
- Ariyarathne H.B.P.C, Ariyaratne H.B.S, and Lokugalappatti L.G.S. Analysis of genetic structure of non-descript local goat populations in Sri Lanka, Proceedings of the Peradeniya Univ. International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka, Vol. 20, 4th & 5th November, 2016, 88pp
- Shanjayan N and Lokugalappatti L.G.S, A mophometric analysis of indigenous white cattle (Thamankaduwa breed) in the Eastern province of Sri Lanka with a description of a novel character, 5th International Symposium 2015 – IntSym 2015, South Eastern University, Sri Lanka, December 07th & 8th, 2015.
- Ariyarathne H.B.P.C, Ariyaratne H.B.S and Lokugalappatti L.G.S, Genetic polymorphism of the gonadotropin releasing hormone receptor gene in non‐descriptive local goats in Sri Lanka, 5th International Symposium 2015 – IntSym 2015, South Eastern University, Sri Lanka, December 07th & 8th , 2015.
- B.M.A.O. Perera, L.G.S. Lokugalappatti, K.K.N. Laknath, W.A.D.P. Wanigasundera, I.M. Gunawardana, S.L.A. Daniel and Ryan Brook, Knowledge, beliefs and perceptions of wildlife risks in rural Sri Lankan communities, The 5th Biennial Conference of the International Association for Ecology and Health (Eco Health 2014), Université du Québec at Montréal, Canada, August 11th to 15th, 2014.
- M.S. Kurukulasuriya, K.M.G.M.K.K. Kulathunga, H.B.S. Ariyarathne, R.P.V.J. Rajapakshe, C.M.B. Dematawewa, S.H.G. Wickramaratne, L.J.P.A.P. Jayasooriya, D.M.S. Munasinghe, L.G.S. Lokugalappatti and G.L.L.P. Silva, Accuracy of FAMACHA® scoring system for detection of anaemia in Sri Lankan indigenous goats under field conditions, Proceedings of the Peradeniya Univ. International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka, Vol. 18, 4th & 5th July, 2014
- Bowie, R. C., Lokugalappatti, S., Fuchs, J., Thomasset, M. and Fjeldså, J., Comparative phylogeography of east and southern african coastal forest birds. Presented at the 126th meeting of the American Ornithologists’ Union, Portland, Oregon, USA. 04‐08th August 2008. (abstract book available for download at )
- C.S. Dissanayake, D.M.S. Munasinghe, L.G.S. Lokugappatti, M.S. Kurukulasuriya, Study on Phenotypic Variations and Haemoparasites in Village Chicken in Cascade and Ovita Agro-Eco Systems. Proceedings of the International Research Symposium, Uva Wellassa University, Badulla 90000, Sri Lanka, January 19-20, 2017
- Niromi Jayasekera, LG Sampath Lokugalappatti, Preeni Abeynayake, IM Gunawardena, Oswin Perera, Zoonotic Diseases Encountered by Field Officers in the Wildlife, Domestic Animal and Human Health Sectors in Sri Lanka, and Current Limitations in Inter-sectoral Communication, The 4th International One health congress and 6th Biennial Conference of the International Association for Ecology and Health (Eco Health 2016), Melborne, Australia, December 03rd to 07th, 2016.
- Sophie Valeix, L.G.S. Lokugalappatti, P. Abeyanake, T. Prasad, A.D.N. Chandrasiri, S.L.A. Daniel, C. Stephen, and F.A. Leighton, A feasibility study for establishment of a national wildlife health centre in Sri Lanka, 60th Annual International Conference of the Wildlife Disease Association, Québec City, Québec, Canada 2011.
- L. G. S. Lokugalappatti, Jon Fjeldså, Bettine J. Van Vuuren, and Rauri C. K. Bowie, Unraveling the origin of a “leapfrog” distribution pattern in the Yellow‐streaked Greenbul. Presented at the 125th meeting of the American Ornithologists’ Union, The University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY. 9 ‐ 11 August 2007 (program and abstract available for download at )
- C.D. Wickramasinghe, M. Samaraweera, N. Jayasena and L.G.S. Lokugalappatti, (2020) Mitochondrial DNA based phylogeny of Sri Lankan Sunbirds (Passeriformes: Nectariniidae), Proceedings of the Postgraduate Institute of Science Research Congress, Sri Lanka: 26th - 28th November 2020, pp141
- Abeykoon, A.G.S.N., Kumara, U.G.V.S.S., Lokugalappatti, L.G.S. and Adikari, A.M.J.B. (2020) Phenotypic Characterization of Village Chicken (Gallus gallus) in Central Poultry Research Station, Karandagolla. In 12th Annual Research Symposium Proceedings. Paper presented at the 12th Annual Research Symposium of the Faculty of Agriculture, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka held on 30th July 2020(pp79). Auradhapura: Faculty of Agriculture, RUSL.
- A. Wanasinghe, M.N.M. Fouzi, L.G.S. Lokugalappatti and M.F.M. Fairoz, (2017) Morphology and percentages of peripheral blood leukocytes in suckermouth armoured catfish (Pterygoplichthys pardalis ) in Central Province of Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the Twenty Third Scientific Sessions of the Sri Lanka Association for Fisheries and Aquatic Resources, 26th May 2017.
- Jagatheesan M., Karawita A.C., Muthusinghe, D.S., Lokugalappatti, L.G.S., Bollinger, T.K., Gunawardena, P. De S., Koizumi, Noubo, Gamage, C.D. (2016) Presence of pathogenic Leptospira sp. in Indian flying foxes in Sri Lanka. 4th Annual Sessions of the Sri Lanka Society for Microbiology, 21 October 2016, Kandy, Sri Lanka.
- W.M.T.D. Rathnakumara, W.W. Abeygunawardena, M.L.N.A.R. Deepani, A.A.A.W.K. Amarasinghe, L.G.S. Lokugalappatti, L.W.N. Samaranayake, D.R.T.G. Rathnayake, P.A.B.D. Alexander and R.A.C. Rabel, Phenotypic Characterization of Jaffna Local Sheep, an Indigenous Livestock Breed of Sri Lanka. 67th Annual Scientific Sessions of the Sri Lanka Veterinary Association, 19th and 20th June 2015.
- LGS Lokugalappatti, HR Wijesena, DMS Munasinghe, DCA Gunawardena and HBS Ariyaratne, PCR-SSCP Polymorphism of BMP4 Gene (Intron II) in Goats in Damana and Thirukkovil Veterinary Service Divisions in the Ampara District of Sri Lanka, Proceedings of the Peradeniya University Research Sessions, Sri Lanka, Vol. 16, 24th November, 2011,p52
- H.R. Wijesena , P.B.A.I.K. Bulumulla, L.G.S. Lokugalappatti and H.B.S. Ariyarathne, Investigation of Genetic Variation in Bmp4 Gene in Local Indigenous and Jamnapari Crossbred Goats in Damana Veterinary Service Division Sri Lanka. Research Symposium of Uwa Welliassa University, Sri Lanka, 15 and 16 December 2011
- Bandara K.A.PA, Goonasekara.N.D, Dangolla.A, Silva I.D. and Lokugalappatti L.G.S., Perusal of court case in the year 2001 pertaining to wild elephant (Elephas maximus maximus) in Sri Lanka, Abstract of scientific paper presented at the 56th annual scientific and research session of the Sri Lanka Veterinary Association held on 14‐15st May 2004, pp21
- Lokugalappatti L.G.S and Mohamed A.R Cytological changes observed in the Amniotic and Allontoic fluids of goats with advancing gestation, Abstract of scientific paper presented at the 55th annual scientific and research session of the Sri Lanka Veterinary Association held on 30-‐31st May 2003,pp23
- Lokugalappatti L.G.S and Mohamed A.R Some reproductive changes observed in the gravid genital tracts of the goats, Abstract of scientific paper presented at the 55th annual scientific and research session of the Sri Lanka Veterinary Association held on 30‐31st May 2003,pp21
- Lokugalappatti L.G.S and Mohamed A.R Some observations on the cytological composition of the Amniotic fluid in goats, Abstract of paper presented at the proceedings of the annual research sessions, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. Vol 1.6 October 30th 2002. pp15