Dr. B.R. Fernando
BVSc(Peradeniya),Ph.D. in Animal Molecular Genetics, Oklahoma State University,Oklahoma, USA
Senior Lecturer/Head of the Department
Department of Veterinary Public Health & Pharmacology,
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine & Animal Science,
University of Peradeniya,
Phone: +94812395755 / +94711373743
- First Place in Livestock and Fisheries Sector of the National Awards for Excellence in Agricultural Research 2017 organized by the Sri Lanka Council for Agricultural Research Policy, Ministry of Agriculture. In recognition of the research conducted on “Establishment of Methods to Ensure Chemical and Microbial Safety of Food of Animal Origin.”
- Dr. and Mrs. A.R. Mohamed Award for the Best Presentation in Animal Health for the Year 2017 at the 69th Annual Scientific Sessions of the Sri Lanka Veterinary Association. Abstract title “Reporting the preliminary results of synthesizing a thermosensitive nanoparticle to target solid tumors.”
- Dr. Arunasiri Iddamalgoda Award for the Best Poster Presentation for the Year 2016 at the 68th Annual Scientific Sessions of the Sri Lanka Veterinary Association. Abstract title “Profiling of bacterial public health hazards associated with elephants participating in the Esla Perahera.”
- American Society for Nanomedicine Travel Award.
- Dr. Devawansa Seneviratne Gold Medal for best performance in Veterinary Public Health.
- eterinary undergraduate – Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology, Veterinary Public Health and Veterinary Professional Studies
- Postgraduate: Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, IT, Communication and Other Soft Skills (Professional Studies)
- Nanomedicine, Veterinary Toxicology and Public Health
- Chief Grantee of the proejct on "Establishment of a simple (one step), rapid, sensitive, low cost, field deployable diagnostic kit/assay based on LAMP technique to diagnose patients infected with SARS-CoV-2" co-funded by the University Grants Comission and the AHEAD Project of the MInistry of Higer Education
- Deputy Coordinator (Activity one Leader) Innovation Commercialization Enhancement Grant of Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, University of Peradeniya
- Chief Counterpart, IAEA Technical Cooperation Project (2019-2022) Title: “Strengthening National Capability for Food and Feed Safety”
- Chief Grantee, Peradeniya University Research Grant (Period: 2016-2018) Title “Establishment of Methods to Determine of Mycotoxins in Animal Feed and Food of Animal Origin to Ensure Consumer Safety”
- Chief Counterpart (Sri Lanka), IAEA Inter-Regional Project INT5154 (Period: 2016-2019) Title: “Improving Food Safety through the Creation of an Interregional Network that Produces Reliable Scientific Data Using Nuclear and Isotopic Techniques”
- Chief Counterpart (Sri Lanka), IAEA Regional Project RAS5078 (Period: 2016-2019) Title: "Enhancing Food Safety Laboratory Capabilities and Establishing a Network in Asia to Control Veterinary Drug Residues and Related Chemical Contaminants"
- Chief Grantee, University Grants Commission Start-up Research Grant (Period: 2015-2018) Title: “Docetaxel encapsulated Low Temperature Sensitive Liposomes (LTSL) to target solid tumors.”,
- Collaborator, IAEA CRP D52038 (Period: 2013-2018) “Accessible Technologies for the Verification of Origin of Dairy Products as an Example Control System to Enhance Global Trade and Food Safety”
- Collaborator, IAEA CRP D52040 (Period: 2017-2022) “Development of Rapid Screening Methods to Assess the Authenticity, Safety and Quality of Imported and Locally Produced Milk Powder in Sri Lanka”
|Name||Institute||Title of the Proposal||Date of Registration|
|Ms. M.D. Kalpage Primary Supervisor of the PhD candidate||Sri Lanka Atomic Energy Board||Authentication of cow milk using stable isotopes and trace element analysis to ensure consumer safety in Sri Lanka||13.05.2016|
|J.M.S.M. Wijayarathna Primary Supervisor of the MPhil candidate||Internal||An in vitro study on applicability of docetaxel encapsulated low temperature sensitive liposomes to target solid tumors.||07.08.2015|
|M.K.U.T. Amarasiri Co- Supervisor of the MPhil candidate||Department of Animal Production and Health||Development of rapid field tests to assess the hygienic quality of raw cow milk at collecting centers||19.01.2016 (completed)|
|Ms. P.P.G.S.C. Sunilshantha Co- Supervisor of the MPhil candidate||Department of Animal Production and Health||Detection of sulfonamides and tetracyclines in animal feed and their residues in poultry meat.||15.12.2017|
|Ms. T.P.J. Athapattu Co- Supervisor of the MPhil candidate||Internal||Determination of prevalence of pathogenic canine leptospirosis in Kandy area.||09.02.2018|
|Sunethra Maldeniya Co- Supervisor of the MSc candidate||Postgraduate Institute of Science||Evaluation of the anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect of external topical applications used in Janu Sandhigatavata (osteoarthritis in knee): A prospective, descriptive study|
|Ms. K.G.C.P. Gamage Co- Supervisor of the MPhil candidate||Postgraduate Institute of Science||A comparative study on the antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles and Rajata Bhasma|
|L.D.N.R. Jayasekera Co- Supervisor of the MPhil candidate||Postgraduate Institute of Science||A comparative assessment of antimicrobial activity of Excoecaria agallocha and Excoecaria indica|
|N.G.R.N. Neelawala Co- Supervisor of the MPhil candidate||Research Assistant, ICE Grant/AHEAD Project||Evaluation of pharmacokinetics and toxic effects of free and liposomal encapsulated gentamicin|
- Saranga Diyabalanage, M.D. Kalpage, C.K. Dissanayake, Ruchika Fernando, R.D. Frew and Rohana Chandrajith. Toxic heavy metals and trace elements in raw cow milk and their feeds from farms in different agro-climatic zones of Sri Lanka. Biological Trace Element Research. Accepted June 2020.
- Ilya Strashnov, Biyagamage Ruchika Fernando, Andrew Cannavan, Champa Dissanayake, Kasun Madusanka Binduhewa, Simon Kelly, Syahidah Akmal Muhammad, Nuwan Bandara Karunarathna, Uliana Strashnova, Artem Petrov. Detection of melamine in Sri-Lanka milk powders and infant formula with Isotope Dilution Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (ID LC-MS). Submitted to Journal of Analytical Methods.
- I. Strashnov, R. Fernando and I. Izosimov. Trace analysis of radioisotopes by laser spectroscopy and mass spectrometry. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry (JRNC) Accepted in Oct 2019.
- T.J. Athapattu, B.R. Fernando, N. Koizumi and C.D. Gamage. Detection of pathogenic leptospires in the urine of domesticated elephants in Sri Lanka. Acta Tropica. 195: 78-82 (2019).
- I. Strashnov, I. Izosimov, J. Gilmour, M. Denecke, J. Almirall, A. Cannavan, G. Chen, C. Dissanayake, I. Doroshenko, T. Elghali, E. Enston, B.R. Fernando, G. Kasozi, S. Kelly, M. Maqsood, S. Muhammad, C. Muryn, A. Pomerantsev, D. Singh, G. Smith, F. Taous, C. Webb, D. Williamson, Z. Xu, S. Yang, A. Zitek. Atmospheric Pressure Chemical Ionisation (APCI) and Photoionisation (APPI) mass spectrometry for rapid detection of adulteration of vegetable oils. Journal of Analytical Methods. 11(30), 3819-3828 (2019).
- I. Strashnov, I. Izosimov, J.D. Gilmour, M.A. Denecke, J. Almiral, A. Cannavan, G. Chen, C. Dissanayake, I. Doroshenko, T. Elghali, E. Enston, B.R. Fernando, G. Kasozi, S. Kelly, M. Maqsood, S. A. Muhammad, C. Muryn, A. L. Pomerantsev, D.K. Singh, G. Smith, F . Taous, C. Webb, D. Williamson, Z. Xu, S. Yang, A. Zitek. A Laser Ablation Resonance Ionisation Mass Spectrometer (LA-RIMS) for detection of isotope ratios of uranium at ultra-trace concentrations from solid particles and solutions. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry (2019).
- N.B. Karunarathna, C.J. Fernando, D.M.S. Munasinghe, R. Fernando. Occurrence of aflatoxins in edible vegetable oils in Sri Lanka. Journal of Food Control. 101: 97-103 (2019).
- W.G.D. Chathuranga, S. Karunaratne, B.R. Fernando,W.A.P.P. De Silva. Diversity, distribution, abundance, and feeding pattern of tropical ornithophilic mosquitoes. Journal of Vector Ecology. 43 (1), 158-167 (2018).
- R. Fernando, D.M.S. Munasinghe, A.R.C. Gunasena and P. Abeynayake. Determination of nitrofuran metabolites in shrimp muscle tissue by liquid chromatography-photo diode array detection. Journal of Food Control. 72: 300-305 (2017).
- G.D.B.N. Kulasooriya, P.P. Jayasekara, J.M.S.M. Wijayarathna, M.K.U.T. Amarasiri, B.C.G. Mendis, A. Siribaddana, A. Dangolla, R.S. Kalupahana, and B.R. Fernando. Screening of elephants participating in the Esala Perahera for zoonotic and multidrug resistant bacteria. Sri Lanka Veterinary Journal. 63(1), 9-13 (2016).
- R. Fernando, L.K. Senavirathna, D. Maples, Y. Zheng, J.C. Polf, and A. Ranjan. Hyperthermia sensitization and proton beam guided liposomal drug delivery for targeted tumor therapy. Pharmaceutical Research. 31(11), 3120-3126 (2014).
- R. Fernando, J. Downs, D. Maples, and A. Ranjan. MRI-Guided Monitoring of Thermal Dose and Targeted Drug Delivery for Cancer Therapy. Pharmaceutical Research. 30 (11), 2709-2717 (2013).
- L.K. Senavirathna, R. Fernando, D. Maples, Y. Zheng, J.C. Polf, and A. Ranjan. Tumor Spheroids as an In Vitro Model for Determining the Therapeutic Response to Proton Beam Radiotherapy and Thermally Sensitive Nanocarriers. Theranostics. 3:687 (2013).
- L.L. Schumacher, B.C. Love, M. Ferrell, U. DeSilva, R. Fernando, and J.W. Ritchey. Canine intestinal histoplasmosis containing hyphal forms. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. 25:304-307 (2013).
Published as Full Papers
- J.M.K.J.K. Premarathne, A.R.C. Gunasena, R. Fernando, D.M.S. Munasinghe, and P. Abeynayake. A high performance liquid chromatographic method for quantification of sulphonamides in chicken and shrimp. In Tecdoc Series 1800 on Development of radiometric and allied analytical methods and strategies to strengthen national residue control programmes for antibiotic and anthelmintic veterinary drug residues. International Atomic Energy Agency Vienna, (2016).
- R. Fernando, D.M.S. Munasinghe, A.R.C. Gunasena and P. Abeynyake. Determination of nitrofuran metabolites in shrimp muscle tissue by liquid chromatography-photo diode array detection. In Tecdoc Series 1800 on Development of radiometric and allied analytical methods and strategies to strengthen national residue control programmes for antibiotic and anthelmintic veterinary drug residues. International Atomic Energy Agency Vienna, (2016).
- 1. W.G.D. Chaturanga, S.H.P.P. Karunaratne, B.R. Fernando, and W.A.P.P. de Silva. Haemoparasites of the wild birds and the role of ornithophilic mosquitoes in parasite transmission. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Tropical Medicine, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, p. 43-44 (2017)
- W.G.D. Chaturanga, S.H.P.P. Karunaratne, B.R. Fernando, and W.A.P.P. de Silva. Species Composition and feeding pattern of ornithophilic mosquitoes in in rural and urban areas in Gampola, central Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the Postgraduate Institute of Science Research Congress, Sri Lanka, p. 82 (2017).
- M.K.T.U. Amarasiri, B.R. Fernando, P.S. Fernando, and R.S. Kalupahana. Assessment of suitability of indirect milk quality tests in determining the microbial load of raw milk. Proceedings of the Annual Scientific Sessions of the Sri Lanka Veterinary Association, Kandy, p. 70 (2017).
- S.M. Wijayarathna and B.R. Fernando. Reporting the Preliminary Results of synthesizing a thermosensitive nanoparticle to target solid tumors. Proceedings of the Annual Scientific Sessions of the Sri Lanka Veterinary Association, Kandy, p. 79 (2017).
- G.D.B.N. Kulasooriya, A.D. Siribaddana, U. Kalubovila, G.P. Athukorala, D.L.B. Dassanayake, H.S. Pathirathne, K. Wickramasekara, H.M.K.P. Senevirathne, Upul A., R.S. Kalupahana and R. Fernando. Detection of mycobacterium tuberculosis complex in faeces by PCR. 38th Annual Academic Sessions of the Kandy Society of Medicine, Plant Genetic Resource Center, Gannoruwa, Peradeniya, p. 98 (2016).
- L. Gunarathne, R. Fernando, D.M.S. Munasinghe, and P.Abeynayake. Detection of sulfonamides residues in broiler meat in Sri Lanka. South Asian Symposium on Sustainable Environmental Management, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya, p.14 (2016).
- K.G.M.P. Kumara , B. Kulasooriya, R. Fernando , R.C. Rajapaksha , A. Siribaddana , R.S. Kalupahana , W.D.S.J. Wicramasinghe , C. Mendis and A. Dangolla. A clinical case of tuberculosis in a captive elephant in Sri Lanka. The Sri Lanka Veterinary Journal. 62(Suppl): 63 (2015).
- Y. Zheng, R. Fernando, D. Maples and A. Ranjan. Improving the Effectiveness of Proton Therapy With Nanomedicine. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, 93, E546 (2015).
- J.C. Polf, I. Jackson, A. Ranjan, Y. Zheng and R. Fernando. Induced Release of Nanocarrier Encapsulated Chemotherapeutic Drugs Using Proton Radiotherapy Beams. Medical Physics, 41(6): 271 (2014).
- R. Fernando and A. Ranjan. Proton Bean Triggerd Nanoparticle Drug Delivery for Targeted Concurrent Chemoradiotherapy. Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology. 9(Suppl 1):34 (2014).
- R. Fernando, D.M.S. Munasinghe, A.R.C. Gunasena and P. Abeynyake. Determination of nitrofuran metabolites in shrimp muscle tissue by liquid chromatography-photo diode array detection. International Symposium on Food Safety and Quality: Applications of Nuclear and Related Techniques. International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna (2014).
- R. Fernando, L.K. Senavirathna, D. Maples, Y. Zheng, J.C. Polf, and A. Ranjan. A novel combination of proton beam radiotherapy and thermosensitive liposomes for concurrent therapy of solid tumors, Seveteenth Annual Phi Zeta Research Day, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OKlahoma, p. 7 (2013).
- M. Jensen, R. Fernando, S. Hartson, and A. Ranjan. A novel combination of HSP-90 inhibitors and a proton uncoupler for enhancing tumor drug penetration, Seventeenth Annual Phi Zeta Research Day, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma, p. 11 (2013).
- D. Maples, V. Chalasani, R. Fernando, K.E. Bartels, D. Piao, and A. Ranjan. Image guided drug delivery from laser-detected low-temperature sensitive liposomes, Seveteenth Annual Phi Zeta Research Day, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OKlahoma, p. 21 (2013).
- U. DeSilva, K.M. Matthews, X. Guo, and R. Fernando. Effect of animal manure in development of antibiotic resistance in agricultural land., Status of animal and plant genome research, San Diego, California (2013).
- R. Fernando, S. Hermansky, H. Kim, S.D. Carter, and U. DeSilva. Impact of diet on swine fecal microbiome, Status of animal and plant genome research, San Diego, California (2012).
- R. Fernando and U. DeSilva. Phage biome of the bovine rumen, Status of animal and plant genome research, San Diego, California (2011).
- R. Fernando, S. Adhikari, X. Guo, and U. DeSilva. Metagenomic analysis of the fungal communities of the bovine rumen, Oklahoma State University Biological Sciences Research Symposium, Stillwater, Oklahoma (2009).
- R. Fernando, A. W. Kalupahana, and S.S.S.d.S. Jagoda. Present situation and issues of zoonosis control in Sri Lanka, 12th International Symposium for Zoonosis Control, Hokkaido University, Hokkaido (2006).
- R. Fernando, H.M.T.K. Karunarathna, K.S.A. Kottawatta, R.S. Kalupahana, P. Abeynayake, and G.S.P.d.S. Gunawardena. Histopathological changes of the endometrium and antimicrobial susceptibility of aerobic bacteria associated with endometritis of dairy cows, Peradeniya University Research Sessions, Peradeniya (2005).
Published in Abstract Form
- Vice-President, Sri Lanka Veterinary Association (2017/2018)
- Secretary, Sri Lanka Veterinary Association (2015/2016)
- Assistant Treasurer, Sri Lanka Veterinary Association (2014/2015)
- Secretary Academic Affairs and Specialties Sub-committee, Sri Lanka College of Veterinary Surgeons (2016 - Present)
- Secretary Academic Affairs Sub-committee, Sri Lanka College of Veterinary Surgeons (2014/2015 & 2015/2016)
- Assistant Secretary, Executive Council of the Sri Lanka College of Veterinary Surgeons (2016/2017 and 2017/2018 years)
- Member of the Executive Council, Sri Lanka College of Veterinary Surgeons (2014/2015 & 2015/2016)
- Secretary, Federation of Peradeniya University Teachers’ Association (2016/2017)
- Secretary, Veterinary Faculty Teachers’ Union (2015 & 2016)
- Member, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (2013-Present)
- Technical Assessor of the Sri Lanka Accreditation Board (2017-Present)
- Technical Manager Food Safety and Quality Assurance Laboratory (2016 & 2017)
- Deputy Technical Manager, Food Safety and Quality Assurance Laboratory (2014 & 2015)
- Developer and Website Administrator of Food Safety Asia Network