Prof. G. S. Panduka De S. Gunawardena
- President’s Award for Scientific Publications – 2016.
- Merit Awards for Scientific Publications, National Research Council – 2015 a
- Merit Award for Scientific Publications, National Research Council – 2015 b
- SUSRED Award for the Supervision of Research Degrees, National Science Foundation – 2013
- President’s Award for Scientific Publications – 2007
Patents Sri Lanka Patent (No. 13928), Brain spoon for collection of brain samples for rabies diagnosis
- Veterinary Pathology including General Pathology
- Systemic Pathology
- Clinical Pathology
- Poultry Pathology and Fish Pathology
My interests lie in the processes of disease at different scales, from sub-cellular, through to the whole body of the animal. These pathological studies rely on collaborations between the pathologists, clinicians and researchers within the vet faculty and veterinary and medical practitioners, and researchers in the government and private sectors, and are frequently multi-institutional (local and foreign).
Beck, S., Gunawardena, P., Horton, D. L., Hicks, D. J., Marston, D. A., Ortiz-Pelaez, A., Fooks, A.R. and Núñez, A., 2017. Pathobiological investigation of naturally infected canine rabies cases from Sri Lanka. BMC Veterinary Research 13 (1), 99.
Wasana, H.M., Perera,G.D., Gunawardena, P.D.S., Fernando, P.S. and Bandara, J., 2017. WHO water quality standards Vs Synergic effect (s) of fluoride, heavy metals and hardness in drinking water on kidney tissues. Scientific Reports, 7(1), pp.1-6.
Gunawardena, P.S., Marston, D.A., Ellis, R.J., Wise, E.L., Karawita, A.C., Breed, A.C., McElhinney, L.M., Johnson, N., Banyard, A.C. and Fooks, A.R., 2016. Lyssavirus in Indian Flying Foxes, Sri Lanka. Emerging infectious diseases, 22(8), p.1456.
Wasana, H.M., Perera,G.D., Gunawardena, P.S. and Bandara, J., 2015. The impact of aluminum, fluoride, and aluminum–fluoride complexes in drinking water on chronic kidney disease. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 22(14), pp.11001-11009.
Silva, A., Gunawardena, P., Weilgama, D., Maduwage, K. and Gawarammana, I., 2012. Comparative in-vivo toxicity of venoms from South Asian hump-nosed pit vipers (Viperidae: Crotalinae: Hypnale). BMC research notes, 5(1), pp.1-7.
Gunawardena, G.S.P. de S. (2010) Brain spoon technique: a simple technique for the collection and dispatch of brain samples for rabies diagnosis. Sri Lanka Veterinary Journal, Vol. 54&55, 17-19.
Gunawardena, G.S.P. de S., Randunu, R.S., Harischandra, P.A.L. and de Silva, D.D.N. (2010) Serological detection of rabies virus neutralising antibodies in dogs and its implications to anti-rabies vaccination schedules. Sri Lanka veterinary Journal, 58, 13-18.
- Academic Fellow – University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Visiting Fellow – Wolfson College, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Commonwealth Fellow – Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the United Kingdom