Faculty of Veterinary Medicine & Animal Science

University of Peradeniya

Faculty of Veterinary Medicine & Animal Science

University of Peradeniya

Message from the Dean


The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, University of Peradeniya is the only institute in Sri Lanka which offers an undergraduate degree programme in veterinary medicine leading to the Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc) degree. The faculty consists of five academic Departments, i.e. Departments of Basic Veterinary Sciences, Veterinary Pathobiology, Veterinary Public Health and Pharmacology, Farm Animal Production and Health and Veterinary Clinical Sciences and a number of affiliated units.The teaching programme of the faculty is facilitated by the Veterinary Teaching Hospital and the Veterinary Teaching Farm. The faculty of veterinary Medicine and Animal Science is also a centre for advanced research in veterinary science and related fields. The high standard of teaching and the research programme of the faculty is due to its well-equipped laboratories, highly qualified teachers and well trained support staff. The vision of the Faculty Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science is to be a national centre of learning and research in veterinary medicine and animal production and to produce veterinary graduates of the highest standard. The mission of the faculty is to impart sound knowledge of veterinary medicine and animal production techniques to students, thereby promoting well-being of both humans and animals. The history of veterinary education in Sri Lanka goes back to 1947 with the establishment of the Department of Veterinary Science affiliated to the Faculty of Medicine, Colombo. In 1954, this Department was shifted to Peradeniya and incooporated to Faculty of Agriculture. In 1973, The Department of Veterinary Science was upgraded to a status of a School of Veterinary Science and became a partner of the Faculty of Medical, Dental and Veterinary Science of the Peradeniya University. The veterinary school received full faculty status in 1980 with four academic departments and was named as the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science. Further expansion of the faculty over the last two decades has resulted in five academic departments, a broad-based curriculum and improved facilities. Currently we enrol 80 students per annum. Our academic programme leading to the Bachelor of Veterinary Science is four years in duration and provides opportunity to enter the veterinary profession which has high demand nationally and internationally. The students enrolled in the programme will not only enter into a university with full residential and recreational facilities but also with one of the most beautiful and pleasant ambience. The students also get an opportunity to mix with students of eight other faculties which will be a life-long experience. Many of our staff members are involved in high quality basic and applied research funded by national and international organizations. The well-equipped laboratories in the faculty facilitate undergraduate and post-graduate study programmes and currently there are more than 30 students following MPhil / PhD degrees. We maintain academic and research collaborations with a number of developed countries including United States, Canada, Great Britain, Australia, Japan and South Korea. The latest of such collaborations is a twining program with the Massey University, New Zealand through the World Organization of Animal Health (OIE) which is intended to upgrade the Veterinary curriculum to international standards and to obtain accreditation from the Australian Veterinary Accreditation Board.

Prof. HBS Ariyaratne
Dean, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine & Animal Science